Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Erg.

I've been dreading writing here because I don't want to come across as bitchy or lazy. But, the fact remains that my new job is the pits.

For two years, I struggled with back problems.. saw countless M.D.s, (neuro, ortho, fp), three chiropractors, a physical therapist and a massage therapist and had multiple MRIs, xrays, and an EMG... All concluding similar diagnoses: lumbar radiculopathy of unknown origin. No one knew why I couldn't sit for more than 30 minutes at a time or walk more than 1/4 mile. I received many different treatments, some of which seemed to exacerbate my symptoms. I finally wheedled away at all of my treatments until I was only seeing a massage therapist weekly. It got to the point that IBU and Naproxen didn't help since I'd taken so many over the course of two years. That's when, in March, I lost my job at Cardiology. They laid me off due to "lack of work." *cough*bullshit*cough*

After I lost my job, I couldn't afford the $60/wk for my massages. So, I stopped going. After a short while, I noticed my symptoms were lessening and eventually, I got better. Well, better for the most part. I still had flare ups, but nowhere near as intense and debilitating. That's where I've been for the past 8 months.

And now, I'm working retail at Christmastime. What better time of year to start a job in retail, right? No. Not if you're 24 but feel 50 with a bad back. Twisting. Turning. Bending. Lifting. Standing for 6 hours straight less a 15 minute break. And all for, what? $6.55/hour. Right, because 20ish hours a week at $6.55 is going to help me build a tiny med school nest egg over the coming months.

Sigh.. suffice to say, my back hurts tonight after my 6 hour shift. I'm not as agile as I used to be. I don't have the stamina. This isn't my forte anymore. Maybe my OMM profs will have a field day with my back when I get there. But, as for now, I don't know how much longer I can handle this job. (Not to mention being bossed around by kids that are 6+ years younger than I am).

Le sigh... Hopefully I'll hear something from the Physical Therapy place to which I sent my resume.

No comments: